Monday, June 1, 2009

Girls & the Games They Play

This Saturday was a pretty exciting day here at Hotel Baylor. The ladies from our church threw us a baby shower here at the hospital. I had been so excited about it for weeks. We had to wait until after I reached the 28 weeks point, so the plans have been in motion for a while. The shower was scheduled to start at 10:30, so of course at 9:45, Dr. Payne showed up to do the measurements for the boys. Luckily, I was already showered and my hair was at least washed if not dried. The boys are growing and looking great - they are all 8 out of 8 for the things that the doctor checks for - heartbeats, lung movement, etc. The boys are now 3 lbs 5 oz (Baby A - poor little guy is squished by his bros), 4 lbs 3 oz (this would be Grandma Newhouse's Moose - Baby B), and 3 lbs 15 oz (Baby C - who is my most active little guy - I think his preemo position on the top of the heap gives him extra room to move around). After the drama of getting everything taken care of (like my blood sugar, etc), we headed down to the conference room near the gift shop.

Kendra, Lori, and Nancy were working hard getting everything set up, and the breakfast stuff they brought (which included an amazing casserole that Debi made) was fantastic - especially the mimosas from what I hear. I have to say that these ladies know how to throw a shower complete with diaper cakes, and I can't wait until I throw another one - there were tons of great ideas to steal (like having everybody put their name and addresses on an envelope for the Thank You Notes).



Once all the ladies showed up, we visited for a bit and things got down to the games. Kendra had prepared a matching game which included candy bar prizes. It was the funniest thing. For example, the pair "what daddy thought during conception" was rewarded with a Skor bar and "sex after the baby" resulted in winning a king sized Zero bar. It cracked us all up.



Following the game, it was cake and present time. I had to abstain from the cake, but my mom had procured permission from one of the nurses to have a small piece of cake with my lunch (yippee! it was the best cake). Bob, fresh from his appearance at the shower the youth gave us, was called upon to open the presents. He did an excellent job, and I was able to get everything recorded in the baby book. Bob was most excited by the snot sucker thing that Debi gave us - apparently it plays music as it removes snot from the baby's nose to make it easier than those old blue ball things did. I'm pretty afraid that I might wake up one night to my nostrils being raped by that thing - I wouldn't put it past my husband to do that. Everyone was so generous, and we got lots of things that I'm sure we'll put to good use - diaper pail, bathtub, towels, diaper caddy, car seat base, diapers, wipes, and all kinds of wonderful goodies. I can't wait to get home and figure out where to put everything.



As things wrapped up, Christy and I posed for a picture - she's due on June 24th and our 34 week goal date is June 24 - I can't believe how big she is! Hahaha.



By 12:30, I had to get back to the room, or the nurses would have hunted me down and wrangled me back. It was so much fun, and I don't think I've laughed that much in a while. Bob and I really appreciated all of the hard work that went into making such a good time possible.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely shower! You guys are blessed!
    Kudos (not a candy but still munchie) to the candy bar game. What a hoot!
    I can't believe you'll be cooing to three very soon. :)
    --Deeann

    ReplyDelete