Thursday, June 3, 2010

Around Towner

As the boys are getting older and more mobile, it is getting easier to go out and about with them. We've switched to the Britax car seats that Bob's former boss so generously gave us, and the boys are only using their infant seats on the triple decker stroller. I am getting much braver about going out with the boys a week or so ago, we took a trip to Target just to get out of the house and get some fresh fruit. It was a breeze. The boys were great, and we even stopped by the bakery for a cookie. It was their first real (non-animal cracker) cookie.
A couple of weeks ago, Bob's sister Susan and her husband John Paul came to visit. They hadn't seen the boys since Christmas, and they were impressed at how much the gang had grown. John Paul and Ryan became great buds, and I'm pretty sure they can't wait to get together again soon. While they were in town, we took advantage of the good weather and went to Joe T.'s. It's a great place for the boys. I don't worry about how loud they are and all the food they drop on the floor is just a gift for the birds. We had a nice time despite the fact that Sir James grabbed my sizzling hot fajita plate.
We got to the restaurant around 4:30 or so, and on the way in, I decided I had to have a picture of the boys by the fountain. By the time we left, the crowd had picked up significantly, but I still stopped to take a few quick pictures. I felt as though I wasn't able to get the perfect shot because within a couple of seconds, we became an attraction, and people stopped to watch us. Ironically, it shocks me more when people don't notice us rather than stop to watch.
Michael was unsure of the fountain, but Ryan had no trouble demonstrating to James exactly how one should splash in the fountain.
Ryan decides to demonstrate for Michael how much fun the splashing can be.
Lesson well learned, and simultaneous splashing begins.
Is it wrong that I craved this picture because the fountain matched the kids outfits. I swear, I never thought I'd be one of those moms, but I do love when my boys look good in their clothes. Perhaps it's because I myself am such a slob with unkempt hair and food stained clothes. (I wish I could blame all of that on the kids, but I am infamous for my use of the car heat/air vents as a hair drier while on my way to work).
Taking time to relax between all our outings, the boys have a milk break. Lately, they wont sit in their chairs to drink. They'd rather sit on the floor and sling milk at each other. They have figured out how to make the milk squirt out of their bottles. As they are 11 months, I am doing half and half milk and formula. Every can of formula I buy, I think, "is this the LAST one?" Our pocketbooks will really enjoy the lack of formula in the budget.
Last weekend, our friends Keith and Terra invited us to join them at the Taste of Addison. We had a great time, but by the time we left, I was worn out. I had been pretty sick and the introduction of medicine gave me a false sense of health. Despite causing myself to relapse and spend the next day in bed (literally, Bob took the kids to church and out to lunch with Aunt Mel while I slept until he came home at 2 to check on me), I really enjoyed it. The boys had a bbq sandwich, crawfish, and countless other nibbles of tasty food. We also rode the carousel with Katie and Carter. It was great fun, and James (who was my designated baby) thoroughly enjoyed himself and kept crawling back over to check out the horses while Ryan ate every stray thing he found in the grass and Michael tried stealing Katie's sippy cup.
Michael, ready for fun to begin. He decided to cleanse his palate with formula and animal cracker.
James and Ryan rocked the double stroller. The two stroller trick worked pretty well. Every once in a while, someone would ask if they were triplets, but most of the time by the time said gawker had finished counting, we were long past talking range. James' back seat was the only one without a tray and cup holder. I'm going to have to figure something out for the next time we take the kids out so that the worst seat in the house isn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment