Monday, May 18, 2009

Growing Pains

The thing Bob and I look forward to the most in this whole lovely hospital experience is the growth scan of the boys. We were supposed to have our scan on Friday, but the doctor was running out of time and postponed it until later. On Sunday as Bob and I were napping - sleeping double in a single bed (which is pretty impressive considering my frontal protrusion), they called us for a scan. We were worried that something was wrong, but Dr. Payne just had a little extra time on his way to the gun range and worked in our growth scan. Since learning about the whole diabetes thing, one major side effect for the kids is that they are generally bigger than your average baby. Well, let me tell you, we've got quite a gang growing in my midsection. This has led to my pelvis aching and my upper thighs betraying me as I try to walk to the bathroom along with the itchiest stomach in the world, but every little ache and pain is worth it as our kids get bigger and healthier.

As always, the doc goes in A,B,C order as he scans the kids. Baby A was right on track for his age at 2 lbs 10 oz. We were relieved to hear that. Baby A has been spending the majority of his time somewhere in my upper thigh and kicking me like crazy when I lay on my left side. He does not appreciate being squished by me as well as by his brothers. Then the doc measured Baby B which he proclaimed was our "porker" at a whopping 3 lbs 8 oz. Baby B's paternal grandmother has now nicknamed him "Moose" which cracks me up. I do notice that Baby B doesn't seem to move around as much as the other two - it must be his love of food (he's definitely my child) has limited his space. Baby C, who has been riding this whole pregnancy out on the top of the heap is 3 lbs 4 oz. He is my squiggliest child as he never stays on the monitor and is always moving around the top of my belly in search of mischief - most of which involves kicking at that elastic band on my pants. All three boys are looking good as far as their fluid, and Bob asked the doc if he was a betting man how many more weeks we have in us. Of course, no one likes to venture a guess, but he says he's pretty sure we'll make it to 32 weeks. That made both of us feel pretty good. Although things can change on a dime with all of blood pressure, sugar issues, etc that multiples bring with them.

After our trip to the scan room, Bob and I watched TV and took a wheelchair ride. We met my mom & Faith in the parking lot. It was so beautiful outside and even just a few minutes in the sun felt great. Bob forgot the keys to the car in the room and had to head back up to get them, so while he was on that mission, I painted Miss F's fingernails. Sometimes, it's so much fun to be the big sister. I am also crocheting blankets for the boys, and Faith wanted me to teach her how to crochet. I think by the time she left, she was starting to get the hang of it. I learned how to crochet in 4th grade, so it seems only fitting that I teach my sister how to do it while she's in 4th grade. Perhaps the most joyful moment of the day (of course excluding the Ranger's win) for Bob was watching my mom eat a lemon. She has always loved to eat lemons with salt despite the trauma this may cause to the enamel on her teeth. Apparently she got a really sour lemon as this picture shows. I must say, I haven't seen Bob jump for a camera that fast in quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment