Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crawfish in Keller?

A couple of weeks ago while reading the Haslet Harbinger (which has since changed names, but I still prefer to have a Harbinger coming to my door every Wednesday), Grandpa Newhouse found an ad for the Keller Krawfish Krawl. While dubious about the ability of Keller to produce crawfish (really other than my grandpas, I don't have much hope for anyone producing amazing crawfish - since both of them have taken their crawfish boiling skills to heaven, I figure I'll never eat amazing crawfish again, but I digress), we were intrigued by the festival especially the part where it was free. So, on the Saturday that Joseph came for a visit and Kathy was in California, we loaded up the boys and headed out to see how North Texas does crawfish.
We parked in a church parking lot for free, and they gave us all little waters which the boys LOVED, so it started off on a good note. When we actually found the "festival," we were a little underwhelmed. They did have a pay jump house with lots of older kids making quite a ruckus, so we decided to pass on the jumping much to the chagrin of young James. We were mostly looking for live music and a grassy place to sit and enjoy. There was live music, but not much grass.
Since it was hot and sunny out, we lathered the boys up with sunscreen and attempted to put hats on them. James and Ryan did pretty well, but Michael kept tossing his away with a derisive glance and a firm "nope." They looked so grown up in their hats. I can't believe that this time last year, our guys were still crawling and James had just gotten his first tooth.
We took a gander at the crawfish, but I figured since they weren't even boiling them on-site, there was no need to pay $15 for disappointment (there is always the Boiling Point in Sulphur for a decent crawfish dinner). Besides, I couldn't fathom how I could peel enough crawfish fast enough to keep up with the kids (although considering their disdain for shrimp, it probably would have been three mudbugs tossed aside and subsequent wild running about).
It was a very small area, so we let Ryan and James out to walk, but Michael preferred to ride in style as he has become accustomed to his very own stroller. Of all the kids, Michael is the most aggressive. He bites, pulls hair, pushes, and kicks the guy in the front seat, so he has been given his own vehicle for our outings. We have recently instituted TIME OUT. I tried spanking his hand when he pulls hair, but he just looks at me and laughs, so then I tried putting him in the playpen for time out. He crawled out. We put him on the green chair in the living room, and he runs around and attempts to break the crystal in my china cabinet. Recently (yesterday), Kathy and I came up with a plan to strap him into his high chair, and turn him to face the wall. (As Terra told me, no matter where you go, there's a corner, so maybe facing the wall will work for us). We had to use it twice today. It seemed to work the second time, but the hardest part of time out is getting the other two kids not to go check out what is going on with Michael. Strangely, no one else has tested their boundaries - I guess Ryan and James have a "let's see what happens to Michael philosophy."
Uncle Joseph and Grandpa hang out with Ryan while Mom and Dad try to figure out what to do at the somewhat less than fancy Krawfish Krawl.
James and his Daddy survey our situation and decide that we should move closer to the stage and behind the speakers.
Michael agrees with this ruling, and the troops move out. I think we might be getting more incognito during our outings. No one asked me if the kids were triplets, and at dinner after the Krawl, our waitress wanted to know if they were twins. (If James didn't slump in his high chair, I think people would realize they are triplets, but he does like to recline and thus make himself appear shorter than he really is).
Ryan is on a mission. No matter when, where, or how, Ryan brings the energy. He is in constant motion. I wish I had that much energy. I'd use it to clean off the top of my dresser which has become a catchall for random crap that I quickly shove into my top drawer when we have showings.
We found the stage. The boys really enjoy music, and they all love to dance. Ryan and James both do a little hop/skip/jump step that I love while Michael is all about the hand motions (I guess we showed him the Single Ladies video one too many times).
I love this picture. I just wish we would have gotten Michael in the shot - he was on the ground attempting to mount the stage from below while his brothers worked out how to attack the stage from the topside.
The music lovers hang out and hold on while the adults hang on and hold out against the struggles of three young men who have seen enough concert footage on Palladia to know how to rush a stage.
The one man show complete with his "titar" was entertaining but since there was really no place to spread a blanket and enjoy the show, we decided to head out and play on the playground in the church parking lot. It was definitely the hit of the day, and all three kids cried when we made them leave.
James is the first to brave the tunnel. He cracks me up. He hates those swinging bridges, so anytime he is unsure as to whether or not the floor will move, he crawls over it very tentatively. Luckily, this was a solid tunnel, and he was able to move all over it without any issues.
Ryan also enjoyed the tunnel, but he was the last to make it all the way through. He usually turned around and came out the way he went in. He spent a lot of time climbing around on the steps and touching the rocks. He was definitely enamored of the pebbles laid down to cushion falls, and I'm just happy he didn't swallow any.
Ryan checks out the pebbles again. While Ryan and Michael would pick up handfuls of rocks and let them fall, James would grab two big handfuls of rocks, go find Grandpa, wait for him to notice that he was there, then throw the rocks at Grandpa's legs. I was not privy to this exercise, but I am told that Grandpa did not do a good job discouraging this activity as he laughed every time he was pelted by a James inspired rock shower.
Grandpa and Uncle Joseph watch Michael slide. Michael loves playground equipment. He was all over. I had trouble getting good pictures of him since he was always on the move.
Michael shows us the proper way to come down the stairs - with gusto.
Ryan and Uncle Joseph master the slide.
That's a crowded tunnel!
After the big kids showed up, we took our kids (kicking and screaming) to the car then headed to Babes Fried Chicken for dinner. For the first time, they all used their plates and spoons at the restaurant like big boys. Of course we can't mention that James spent the majority of his meal rubbing mashed potatoes into Grandpa's arm hair. Despite the fact that the Krawl was a bit of a dud, it was a fun outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment