Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On the Move?

As of September 1, Bob has a new territory with Buffet. He's the new West Coast rep, and as such, his bosses would like us to live on the West Coast. This has caused a lot of discussion amongst our nearest and dearest, but the bottom line is we all like to eat and this is a promotion for Bob. We put our house on the market about a month ago, and we are currently looking at homes in the Portland area as well as in Reno and central California.
It's a frightening and exciting proposition. It's hard to think of leaving this beautiful home I thought we'd grow old in for a smaller yet similarly priced house thousands of miles from our family. On the plus side, maybe I can talk Bob into taking me to Hawaii more often as the flight will be shorter.
A couple of weeks ago, Bob and I went to Washington/Oregon. It was fantastic because my very good friend Anne & her husband Tobin met us in Portland. We looked at a gazillion houses, and I think there are a couple that would work. I want to live in either Washington or Nevada because there is no state income tax, but we are checking out all of our options. You can take the Republican out of Texas, but you can't make her vote Democrat.
Luckily, our house has to sell before we head off into the wild blue yonder, so it has given me a little bit of time to process this whole situation. I've never lived more than 50 miles from my mom, and Faith is still growing up and I want to be there for all the special moments to come, and driving home from Washington or Nevada is not quite like making a quick trip to Louisiana or Houston to see family & friends. With all of that swirling around in my brain combined with the thought of leaving our church, our friends, and everything we know for the unknown has definitely prompted me to throw out lots of prayers for guidance and wisdom.
While we wait for some one to find this home that we've made to be one they can't live without, I have been endlessly searching the internet for another place to live. While I do that, James is trying to get the packing started by pulling all of the pots and pans out of the cabinet. He is so helpful.
Ryan just wants us all to stop and consider for a moment that not only are we leaving behind friends and family, but also our sports teams. How will he grow up rooting for teams other than the Rangers and Cowboys. This has been Bob's biggest fear since before the kids were conceived. I'm pretty sure he'll be okay, especially with the Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, and if we live in Washington, we can go watch the Rangers play the Mariners. I come from a family that roots for LSU & the Saints and even in my deepest anti-sports phase, I always knew you had to root for the Tigers and the Saints. I'm sure with cult like inculcation, the boys will love their Rangers and Cowboys just like Daddy.
Michael and Bob are practicing their waving skills. We aren't gone yet, but we are getting closer to moving with every showing of our house.

4 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog for a few months now...I have triplet girls born 6/29/09. I live in Washington, about 45 minutes north of Seattle. If you do come up here you'll have to get in touch. If you need any advice on neighborhoods or other Washington questions, let me know! Good luck with the house hunt. I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave family with toddler triplets :)

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Angie! Look! A potential friend! With triplets, no less! Ah, the Lord works in mysterious ways. She makes them read your blog. :)

    This'll be such an adventure! Just gotta get through showing your house. That's the potty-training of moving. Such a horrible, wretched phase... making one keep one's house perpetually clean. Oooooh!

    Thinking of you, Ang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will send prayers your way. As much as we will miss you all, and miss our "meetings" at the communion rail (with you all taking up about 1/4 of it;) with all the toddlers sitting on it, anxiously waiting for their grape, I'm also very excited for you. Bring some conservatism to that Left Coast:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you found houses and didn't even get my permission. This is so sad.

    ReplyDelete